guest house edinburgh
edinburgh what's on and where to go... from Southside:
scroll below for:
Walking Distances from Southside to.....
Travellers and Visitors Resources & Reference Links
Edinburgh Events Links
Edinburgh Attractions Links
Edinburgh Theatres and Cinemas Links
Edinburgh and Scotland Tours
Other Useful Edinburgh Related Links
Southside Guest House Edinburgh is very near to: (between 3 minutes and 10 minutes walk)
- University of Edinburgh's Pollock Halls of Residence
- Festival Theatre
- Queens Hall
- Kings Hall
- McEwan Hall
- Royal College of Surgeons
- National e-Science Centre
- Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
- Royal Sick Children Hospital (Sick Kids Hospital)
- Holyrood Park
- Arthur's Seat
- Royal Commonwealth Pool
- Historic Scotland Headquarters
- National Library of Scotland (Maps)
- Salisbury Centre
- Scottish Widows Dalkeith Road Office
Southside Guest House Edinburgh is near to (between 10 minutes to 25 minutes walk)
- Old Town
- Edinburgh Castle
- Royal Mile
- Princes Street Gardens
- Princes Street Shops!!
- University of Edinburgh Old College
- Prestonfield House
- National Library of Scotland (Main)
- Italian Cultural Institute
- University of Edinburgh George Square Buildings
- University of Edinburgh Kings Buildings
- St Giles
- Dynamic Earth
- Palace of Holyrood
- Royal Museum
- Scottish Parliament
- National Gallery of Scotland
- Royal Scottish Academy
- New Town
............and all other attractions, event and venues can be reached in a few minutes using the excellent and frequent Edinburgh bus service!!
links to a range of helpful and interesting sites
Travellers and Visitors Resources & Reference ~Global
..these Edinburgh Hotel sites!
- This global web site presents OFFICIAL weather observations, weather forecasts and climatological information for selected cities supplied by National Meteorological & Hydrological Services (NMHSs) worldwide. Links to their official weather service web sites and tourism board/organization are also provided whenever available. World Weather
- Michelin. ViaMichelin is an excellent resource for route planning and maps, it is also very well designed and great fun to use! Michelin Route Planner and Maps
Travellers and Visitors Resources & Reference~ Edinburgh and Scotland
- edinburgh in pictures - A gold mine of beautiful and useful pictures about Edinburgh.
- Rampant Scotland - the largest directory of Scottish links plus over 3,000 pages of articles about Scotland and the Scots. Rampant Scotland
- The List. A very useful guide to Restaurants and Bars in Edinburgh, you can search alphabetically or by style. The List Eating and Drinking Guide to Edinburgh
- The Scotsman. The Scotsman is Edinburgh's own daily newspaper and a great source of information, past and present, about Edinburgh and Scotland. The Scotsman Newspaper
- ScotFind.com - Scottish Search Engine & Directory.
- Edinburgh Events. Mainly events funded by City of Edinburgh Council. Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Tattoo.
The 2012 Edinburgh Tattoo
will take place from
3rd - 25th August 2012
- In the winter, Edinburgh sparkles...and never more so than during the sensational Christmas festivities, which run from late November 2012 to early January 2013.
There will time-honoured favourites such as Edinburgh's Christmas Winter Wonderland, the Edinburgh Wheel; Christmas Carousel, as well as the hugely popular Traditional German Christmas and Highland Village Christmas Markets.
However, there's loads happening in the city throughout the festive season and this is the place to find out about all of Edinburgh's Christmas events, thanks to the online search facility.
Have a very happy Edinburgh's Christmas 2012!
- Edinburgh's Hogmanay - The World's Best New Year Celebrations ! Hogmanay
- Edinburgh Festivals.Guide to all Edinburgh Festivals. Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Events. List of Edinburgh Events. Edinburgh Events
- Edinburgh Festivals. Official Listing to all Edinburgh Festivals. Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Tours. Edinburgh Architects site which also list numerous Edinburgh Tours. Edinburgh
Tours and Itineraries
- Royal College of Physicians. Education and Events run by the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. Royal
College of Physicians
- Edinburgh Events. Comprehensive Guide to Edinburgh and Events compiled by VisitBritain the UK Tourist Authority. Visit
- Whisky Events in Edinburgh!! Whisky
- Scottish Tourist Board. Official Site of Scotland's National Tourism Board. Visit
- Official Site of Scottish Rugby. Scottish
- The Gazetteer for Scotland is a vast geographical and historical encyclopaedia covering Edinburgh and the whole of Scotland. Gazetteer
- The Royal Mile Edinburgh. The historic High Street of Edinburgh and its key buildings. The Royal Mile Edinburgh
- Historic Scotland is the body that works to safeguard Scottish Heritage - in the site you can find information on more than 300 properties in its care. Historic
- Greyfriars Church. There is more than lovable Greyfriars Bobby to this haunting Kirk. Ripe with tales of strife and religious dissent over its long and colourful history. Brace yourselves for a few shivers if walking around its graveyard on a wet and windy day. The perfect place to unwind ! Greyfriars Church and Greyfriars Bobby
- Rosslyn Chapel. Whether or not you enjoyed Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" you will love this unique building. Rosslyn Chapel, or the Collegiate Chapel of St Matthew as it was to have been, was founded in 1446 by Sir William St Clair, third and last St Clair Prince of Orkney. It is in fact only part of the choir of what was intended to be a larger cruciform building with a tower at its centre Rosslyn Chapel
- St Giles Cathedral. As atmospheric as you can get! Try and catch some of the wonderful musical events . St Giles' Cathedral is the historic City Church of Edinburgh with its famed crown spire on the Royal Mile between Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyroodhouse. St Giles Cathedral
- The City of Edinburgh Museums and Art Galleries. A unique collection of superb attractions ~ from the Writers Museum to the Royal Scottish Museum. Eleven mouth-watering venues! City of Edinburgh Museums and Art Galleries
- Genealogy Resource for Scotland. Scotland's largest library and the world centre for the study of Scotland and the Scots.
National Library of Scotland
- A very popular attraction on the History of the Earth - great for adults and children alike! Dynamic Earth
- Art Galleries Edinburgh. All the about the fantastic six Galleries in Edinburgh and their exhibitions . National Gallery
- National Museum of Scotland. Part of the National Museums of Scotland - hosting international and scottish artefacts in its thirty six galleries. Royal
- Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh. Scotland's Premier Garden.Royal Botanic
Garden of Edinburgh
- Scotland's oldest museum, Surgeons' Hall Museum covers the fascinating history of surgery. Make sure to visit the Special exhibition - Conan Doyle and Joseph Bell, the Real Sherlock Holmes.
College of Surgeons Museum
- Royal Commonwealth Pool Edinburgh. A first class swimming and diving venue which also offers an excellent Pulse Centre Gym. Royal
- Royal Yacht Britannia. For over forty years Britannia served the Royal Family - now you can discover its fascinating past. Royal
- Edinburgh Zoo. A great day out for all the family! Edinburgh Zoo.
- Salisbury Centre. A Holistic Education Centre with a fascinating programme of classes and events. Salisbury Centre
- Palace of Holyrood House. The Queen's Official Residence in Scotland, founded as a monastery in 1128. Holyrood
Edinburgh Theatres and Cinemas
- The Festival Theatre and King's Theatre have an all year round exciting and varied programme. Kings Theatre and Festival
- Usher Hall is another Edinburgh Institution with classical and contemporary perfomances. Usher
- The Queens Hall Edinburgh offers a wide range of events to tempt you all year round -classical, jazz, blues, pop and much more.Queens
- Lyceum Theatre Edinburgh. One of Scotland's most successful producing companies - offering high quality drama productions September to May. Lyceum Theatre
- Traverse Theatre. Edinburgh's Traverse Theatre is Scotland's new writing theatre with a record of excellence since 1963.Traverse Theatre
- Edinburgh Playhouse. The biggest long running Musical Hits are shown at the Playhouse. This site allows you to see what's on and you can book your tickets. Edinburgh
- Filmhouse Edinburgh. Filmhouse is Scotland's foremost Independent Cinema, featuring Film Festivals, Art Films and generally very good movies. It also has a very welcoming Cafe Bar. Filmhouse
- Dominion Cinema Edinburgh. A lovely and "old fashioned" cinema complex it has a very loyal following within the Southside of Edinburgh and beyond, it offers a contemporary programme - some screens have superior lounge seats. Dominion Cinemas
- Cameo Cinema Edinburgh. Another little gem of a Cinema with a good programme ( part of Picture House Cinemas), ideal if you want to avoid the huge cinema complexes. Cameo Cinema
Edinburgh and Scotland Tours
- Timberbush Tours runs some great Tours throughout Scotland. Many of our guests book packages through us or directly and the feedback is invariably very complimentary. Timberbush Tours
- Hidden beneath the Royal Mile lies Edinburgh’s deepest secret: a warren of hidden ‘closes’ where real people lived, worked and died. For centuries they have lain forgotten and abandoned…until now. This five star attraction truly makes Edinburgh's Edinburgh history unmissable.
The Real Mary King’s Close.
- The City of the Dead Graveyard Tours offer an unique and very scary experience - not for the faint hearted!!! It's all very spooky and very exciting! The City of the Dead Graveyard Tours.
Offering tailor made private tours of Scotland ~ on a one to one basis or up to seven passengers. A Canadian guest who took a tour of the Borders brought this company to our attention.
. Private Guided Tours of Scotland
Detailed itineraries for self-drive tours, accommodation guides and information on major Scottish Attractions.
. Secret Scotland Tours
- A few of our guests have taken this tour and have expressed total satisfaction. Bikes and helmets provided!
. Cycle Tours Of Edinburgh
- Mercat Tours run some excellent Ghost and History Tours in Scotland and the site is a real experience of all that is in store. Mercat Tours
- Longing for some sea air? Here is a great way to spend a few hours crusing the Firth of Forth and heading for the Holy Island of Inchcolm with its 12th Century Abbey. Just a short train ride from Edinburg Waverley to Dalmeny, a short walk to the Pier and then you are off! Check out directions , timetable ans prices. Day Cruises on the Firth of Forth.
Other Useful Edinburgh Related Links
- University of Edinburgh. A world class University with a distinguished 400 years History. Edinburgh University
- The Royal School of Veterinary Studies. Named after William Dick founder of the College and with a history going back to 1823, the College was reconstituted as an integral part of the University of Edinburgh in 1951.The Royal (Dick) School
of Veterinary Studies
- Edinburgh Courts. All you wanted to know about the Legal System in Scotland ~ said by some to be among the best in the world! The site is a mine of information with much historical background . Scottish Courts
- Genealogy Resource for Scotland. The General Register Office for Scotland is responsible for the registration of births, deaths, marriages and divorces for Scotland. The site is an excellent resource for researching family history of Scottsih roots.The General
Register Office for Scotland
- Genealogy Resource for Scotland. New Register House is the living repository of Scotland's people and their history. Fantastic resource for finding out about your ancestors. It's a beautiful building too, the work of Robert Adam.New
- Scottish Parliament. Yes....it might have been a WEE bit over budget, but it's a stunning building - love it or hate it! Time will tell. The site is an excellent source of information about the workings of Scottish Politics. Scottish
- Edinburgh's graveyards. It may not be everyone's idea of an excellent outing - yet there is much to learn and enjoy in visiting historical graveyards. The monumental architecture in many of these Edinburgh graveyards is quite stunning and often moving. Edinburgh's graveyards.
- The Club is Edinburgh's local history society, concerned with all aspects of the city's history and its development. Old Edinburgh Club
Tel: +0044 (0)131 668 4422
Fax: +0044 (0)131 667 7771